Friday, March 9, 2007

Get ready for Sunday night

After a tough loss yesterday to Notre Dame I just can't believe all the so called Orange fans who are debating whether or not the Orange is in the NCAA's! I mean come on...are you serious? 10-6 in the Big East and a big end to the season and these Orange "fans" have them out and WV in?This debate will be going on up until Selection Sunday and probably even after that, but the facts are clear...if you want to put WV in the tourney then the Orange has to be in!

Syracuse could have easily won the Notre Dame game had our big men (most notably TRob) made some damn free throws. Notre Dame is a great shooting team, no question about it, and I said going into the game that Syracuse doesn't match up well against them. Just think about, Syracuse scored their second most points in a Big East game this year (the most was also against Notre Dame), and still lost the game. Notre Dame shoots the ball so well as a team that it is so hard for Syracuse to match up to everyone. I am personally not worried about this team. They are going to make it to the big dance as no better than a 9 seed. Personally I would like to see them be an 11 or 12 seed because the second round matchups would be better.

For those people still wondering whether or not Syracuse should be in the tournament, I say give me 4 or 5 teams that you feel are better than them that are on the bubble. You wouldn't be able to find them. Syracuse is not a lock on anybody's brackets, but they are a lock in my opinion!

I started my mock brackets a few days ago and I am going to finish my bracket today at work, as it will be a slow day in the office! I will post my mock bracket selections later in the day...so look forward to them!

GO 'CUSE!!

3 comments:

OrangeRay said...

The Orangemen (I refuse to recognize the new name!) are definitely in the tournament; the win over UConn secured that. If they had lost to a poor UConn team in the first round of the BET, they would have been on the bubble and possibly in jeopardy, but now they are quite secure... 100% with you on that.

T. said...

How about the fact that we had four conference road wins, only played the bottom four teams in the Big East a combined three times and also were the only team who has beaten Georgetown in their last sixteen games?!? If Syracuse's resume was not enough to put them in, I don't know whose is.

To watch Gary Walters, the NCAA Selection Committee Chairman hem and haw about there being a lot of great teams, gave me a legitimate purpose to drive to Indianapolis tonight and end him.

All this brouhaha about Syracuse not playing a non-conference road game and not beating anyone out of conference is a red herring. The Selection Committee always asserts an emphasis will be placed on how you have played down the stretch of the season, namely the last ten games. This is the philosphy that puts an Arkansas team who went 7-9 in the weak SEC division into the tournament because they maid the SEC Championship finals (only to get blown away by Florida). It is entirely inconsistent to apply this approach to a team like Arkansas or Stanford (4-6 in last 10 games, including a first round Pac10 tourney loss to USC) and not to Syracuse, who won a game in their conference tournament and performed well down the stretch.

In sum, Boeheim was correct in his press conference. Whenever Syracuse leaves the decision on whether or not they will make the tournament up to the Selection Committee, they always end up on the losing side.

Good luck getting this dejected team excited for an NIT matchup against perennial powerhouse South Alabama.

CuseAnalyst said...

Totally agree! I don't understand Arkansas one bit! I had Stanford in so I can't say anything about them, but Arkansas is ridiculous! I think what may have happened is the selection committee put Arkansas in thinking they may beat Florida and then never bothered to remove them once they got blown out. I mean Syracuse's resume wasn't the greatest but 10-6 vs 7-9 in ridiculous! The main point Gary Walters made was the unbalanced scheduling. If this was true then how does Arkansas get in when it wasn't unbalanced but just WEAK!

One more point I want to add is that I was hoping for a Syracuse/Marist (my alma mater) matchup in the NIT after seeing the Orange get snubbed...and I can't even get that!